Thursday, May 8, 2014

Afghan Pudding

My senses are telling me to update in the midst of all the busyness, exhaustion, and jaw pain. Santai saja. And so we will listen, we will chill, and we will write.

EARLIER THIS EVENING

At 6:30pm I sat on my bed and I was faced with the classic dilemma: go out and meet people, or stay home in solitude. The latter option was so tempting, and all sorts of excuses began to fill my head. You're sleepy. It's late. You don't even know the host. There will be other parties.  I almost caved, when suddenly another voice entered my thoughts. It was my friend Charlotte.

"While I'm in Indonesia, I am going to accept all invitations to hang out."

She said this to me in 2012 when she was living in Indonesia for two months, researching women's bicycle culture. Then I stopped to think, wait, 2012?  Has it really been two years? And it suddenly dawned on me that I have less than four months before I go home.

So I decided to listen to Charlotte's voice and found my way to the dinner party. I'm glad I did, too, because tonight I met a wonderful new friend. We talked for a few hours over fruits and homemade Afghan pudding.

No comments:

Post a Comment